Show all quotations↑
A chamber pot.
contains mapscontains DARE survey quotes
- 1930 Shoemaker 1300 Words 65 cPA Mts (as of c1900), Vessel—A chamber pot.
- 1941 LANE Map 337, 1 inf, nwVT, Chamber = vessel = pot (vulgar).
- Ibid Map 339, 1 inf, cnRI, Commode, a wash stand with a vessel (i.e. a chamber pot in a bottom compartment).
- 1949 McDavid Coll. cNY, Vessel—(euph) = chamber pot.
- 1950 WELS (Utensil kept under a bed for use at night: Give names and nicknames) 5 Infs, WI, Vessel.
- 1957 Sat. Eve. Post Letters MA, A pot was a crockery affair used for the needs of nature and under the bed. My proper grandmother . . referred to this as “my vessel” or “my chamber.”
- 1965–70 DARE
- Qu. F38, Utensil kept under the bed for use at night
- 28 Infs, chiefly NEast, Gt Lakes, Vessel; CA36, NY11, Bed vessel; WI19, Japanese vessels. [28 Infs old]
- 1975 DARE File neMA, Vessel—Euphemism for chamber pot. Used by grandmother (born near Salem MA 1862(?)).
- 1986 Pederson LAGS Concordance 1 inf, ceAR, Vessel—“genteel” name for slop jar.
- 2007 DARE File nwMS (as of 1964), Vessel for chamber pot—I heard this in 1964 from a black minister in Marks, Mississippi.