Show all quotations↑
bear claw n
Also bear’s claw, bear paworig West, now more widely known See Map
A large filled pastry shaped like a bear’s paw.
contains mapscontains DARE survey quotes
- 1918 Pueblo Chieftain (CO) 21 Dec 12/4, [Advt:] Try our French Eclairs, . . Butterhorns, Bear Claws [etc].
- 1921 Oakland Tribune (CA) 30 Sept 27/2, [Advt:] Bakery Special. . . Snails, Bear Claws 2 for 5c.
- 1942 AN&Q 2.55 San Francisco CA, Another variety [of “snail” pastry], with raisin filling, is (from its shape) known as a “bear-claw.”
- 1946 AmSp 21.87 CA, Bearclaw—a sweet bread shaped something like its name implies.
- 1965–70 DARE
- Qu. H32, . . Fancy rolls and pastries
- 60 Infs, chiefly West, Bear claws; IA13, MT5, WA3, Bear paws; CA87, NY94, Bear’s claws;
- Qu. H28
- Inf UT8, Bear claw.
- 1965 DARE File csWI, Bear claw—a type of sweet-roll, paw-shaped, with indentations along one side. Sold by bakeries.
- 1968 ID Enterprise (Malad City) 1 Feb 8/1, [Advt:] Hostess Bear Claws—2 for 95¢.
- 1971 Bright Word Geog. CA & NV 177, Sweet roll . . bear claw 28% [of 300 infs] S[cattered].
- 1972 (1978) Carr Second Oldest Profession 65 swVA, Among the necessities for the infare were “busses,” “ginger cakes,” “kisses,” “bear-claws,” “stack cakes” with apple-butter icing, “burr flour bread,” and “matrimony cakes,” these being edibles of various shapes and sizes, rarely used save for the nuptial ceremonies.
- 1992 Times–News (Burlington NC) 10 July sec A 3/1 swAL, Zooland officials at Gulf Shores . . trapped the black bear on Wednesday. . . Honey and doughnuts, including the type known as bear claws, were put in the trap as a lure, said . . a Zooland employee.
- 2014 NY Times (NY) 19 Mar (Internet), Meanwhile, the three have teamed . . to create a bakery and restaurant with a focus on smoked fish, blintzes and yeasty New York City staples (bagels, bear claws, Danishes, challah, marble rye).