Show all quotations↑
contains DARE survey quotes
- 1928 [see neb v].
- 1930 Shoemaker 1300 Words 42 cPA Mts (as of c1900), Nebby—Curious, inquisitive.
- 1931 AmSp 7.20 swPA, Nebby. Nosey, inquisitive.
- 1953 AmSp 28.251 csPA, Nebby. . . Inquisitive.
- 1957 Sat. Eve. Post Letters cwPA, “Nebby” . . intrusive, nosey.
- 1968–70 DARE
- Qu. GG36a, The kind of person who is always poking into other people’s affairs: “She’s an awful _____.”
- Inf PA135, Nebby person;
- Qu. GG36b, The kind of person who is always poking into other people’s affairs: “She’s the _____person I know!”
- Infs PA93, 94, 167, Nebbiest; PA234, Nebby-nosed.
- 1970 DARE FW Addit cwPA, Nebby [ˈnɛbi]—nosey.
- 1972 Atlanta Letters PA, When I told a [Georgian] youngster to stop being nebby or being a nebbynose, they thought I was calling them dirty names instead of telling them to mind their own business.
- 1982 DARE File PA, Don’t be so nebby!
- 1982 McCool Sam McCool’s Pittsburghese 25 PA, Nebby: nosey as in “Aunt Edie is so nebby nobody can stand her.”