Show all quotations↑
Also pepjinny, pimpjennet, pinjinnet; for addit varr see quots[OED2 pimgenet “slang or dial. Obs.” Cf EDD pip sb.1 5 “A small spot on the skin”]esp Delmarva, South Atlantic See Map
A pimple; also transf.
contains mapscontains DARE survey quotes
- 1899 (1912) Green VA Folk-Speech 323, Pipjinny. . . Pimgenet. A pimple; a small bile. Pustule.
- 1912 Ibid 323, Pinginnet. . . A pimple on the face.
- 1952 Brown NC Folkl. 1.576, Pimpjennet, pimpjenny. . . A pimple.—Central and east.
- Ibid, Pipjenny. . . A pimple.—Chapel Hill.
- 1965–70 DARE
- Qu. X59, . . The small infected pimples that form usually on the face
- Infs DE2, VA74, Pipjennies; NC6, Pipjenny—little hickies; VA73, Pepjinnies [ˈpɛpǰɪnɪz]; MD36, Pimjinnets [ˈpɪmˌǰɪnᵻts]; MD15, Pimjimmies [ˈpɪmǰɪmᵻz]; DE3, Pinjinnets [ˈpɪnˌǰɪnɪts]—I got some on my face now; MS86, Pipjinnies;
- Qu. BB25, . . Common skin diseases around here
- Inf GA3, Pipjennies—small, infected risings on skin from heat; little fester bumps;
- Qu. BB33a, . . A swelling under the skin, bigger than a pimple, that comes to a head
- Inf FL49, Pipjenny—smaller than a rising; VA69, Pipjinny [pɪpˈǰɪnɪ] is smaller than a rising, but contains white pus and comes to a head.
- 1968 McDavid Coll. GA, 1 inf, Pipjinnit; 1 inf, Pipginnies.
- 1981 DARE File GA, My maid left me a note that the pip jenny had come off the vacuum cleaner. Baffled, I sought help from friends. One of them said it is a lump (hump? mump?) on the skin.
- 1986 Pederson LAGS Concordance (Boil) 1 inf, swAL, Pip jennies; 1 inf, ceGA, Pip jennies—small ones; 1 inf, swGA, Pip jenny—a rising; 1 inf, swMS, Pip jenny; 1 inf, cGA, A pip jenny—called this when they’re small; 1 inf, swGA, A pip jenny.