Show all quotations↑
slick and a promise n
[Var of lick and a promise]chiefly New Jersey See Map
A hasty or superficial performance (of a task).
contains mapscontains DARE survey quotes
- 1892 Atlantic Mth. 69.379 sME [Author from Philadelphia PA], Much sweepin’ he ’ll get out o’ Eunice; it ’s a slick ’n’ a promise with her!
- 1965–70 DARE
- Qu. A22, . . ‘To start working hard’: “She had only ten minutes to clean the room, but she _____ [and had it done in time].”
- Inf NJ5, Did it with a slick and a promise;
- Qu. W28, When a woman is in a hurry and has to sew up a torn place quickly . . “I’ll just _____.”
- Inf NJ24, Slick and a promise;
- Qu. KK49, When you don’t have the time or ambition to do something thoroughly: “I’m not going to give the place a real cleaning, I’ll just _____.”
- Infs IN16, NJ11, 18, 55, 57, Give it a slick and a promise; PA59, Give a slick and a promise; NJ4, Give it slick and a promise; MA5, Slick and a promise. [9 of 10 Infs old]